Thursday, December 3, 2020

My Favorite Things...

Welcome to Day 4 of the #31dayblogchallenge2020.  Today we are discussing our favorite sewing room tools.

I do not have an excess of tools, scissors or rulers, but I make sure the ones I have are good quality.  Having the right tools for the job is very important and really reduces frustration.  For example, tweezers: using them to pull the thread from behind the needle after threading or if it pulls up too short is so much easier than trying to get my big fingers in there and it’s probably a lot safer too.   I use brand name rotary cutter blades but still don’t change it soon enough.  Does anybody?  I see reference to generic or industrial blades online and often there are reports that they just don’t last very long or work very well.  Why go through that frustration?  For me, it’s worth the extra cost to avoid the frustration.

 I mentioned my awesome folding sewing table on Day Two, it is definitely on the Favorites list.   My darling husband surprised me with it after watching me struggle to cut out my daughter’s prom dress on the low bed.  I’ve had it for 16-17 years now and it’s as good as new.  The white laminate top is 30” x 60” and folds down to 30” x 12”.  The counter height legs all have wheels so I can roll it pretty much anywhere.  There’s also an ironing pad that fits the entire top so I can press fabric yardage, quilt tops and backing easily.  The laminate top is scratch resistant so it’s not all marked up from pin basting.  The newer versions of the same table have a storage area in the center section.  That would be nice, but I’m not going to trade it in.


In 2004-5, I got my first serger and it came with a pair of long nose tweezers to help with threading the machine.  I started using them for EVERYTHING and my favorite pair are the ones that came with that machine, even though I passed it on years ago.  As you can see in the photo, they (TL) work great for catching the thread behind the needle, (TR) pulling pins that are under the foot so I don’t stitch over them, (BL) work as a stiletto when I can’t find the actual one and (BR) when I’m pressing so I don’t burn my fingers.  I also use them to pick threads if I have on my quilting gloves.  The tweezers are always within reach because they are used a lot.  Beware though – not all tweezers are created equal – I still use those first ones because they actually WORK to pick up fine threads.  I have rejected a few pair because they don’t pick up anything.


Two other favorite tools are used for pressing but neither can be purchased at the sewing store.  First is a wooden board – mine is 12” square – that is wrapped with one layer of quilt batting.  My husband took 3 layers of leftover 1/4” plywood (lauan board), glued and screwed them together and sanded the edges smooth.  I tightly wrap a piece of leftover batting around it and tape it on the back with painters or masking tape.  It is perfect for pressing blocks super flat.  When the batting starts to get flat, stained or worn out, I put a new one.  I tried two layers and that’s too squishy.  Second is a metal guitar finger pick.  Hubs also plays guitar and got a set of finger picks to learn a new technique.  He didn’t really like them and set them aside.  I was pressing blocks one day and kept almost burning my fingers.  I saw the discarded picks laying on the desk and put one on my finger to use as an extended fingernail.  It worked beautifully and I now use them all the time.  I like to press my piecing seams open and the finger pick lets me get in between and open the fabric and also protects my finger from the heat of the iron. 

For photos of many of my stitching projects, check out my Facebook Page – by Laura McFall (https://www.facebook.com/byLauraMcFall) – where you can peruse all of the albums of my creations.  I have also been on Instagram since 2019 - @bylauramcfall.  On either platform you can search #bylauramcfall or #flamingomooncampers to see what we’re up to.  

 

 

1 comment:

  1. You did not mention the foot block :). Anyways, love that I can do things for you!

    ReplyDelete